Home Home Icon Safeguarding & School LifeFrequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Please do not hesitate to contact us if your question is not addressed below.

How do I report my child absent from school due to illness?

If your child is too unwell to attend school, please email absence@morecambebayacademy.co.uk and give details of the illness, the name of your child and their form and your details and contact number.  Please note you need to report a child’s absence each school day before 8.45am.  If your child is unable to attend school for any other reason, please detail this in an email or call our attendance team on 01524 410207.  Please note, only valid reasons for absence will be authorised.

We are struggling financially, how do we apply for free school meals?

Do you qualify for Pupil Premium funding and free school meals?

You can register your child for Free School Meals if you get any of these benefits:

Universal Credit with a household income of less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)

Income-Based Jobseekers’ Allowance

Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance

Child Tax Credit, not entitled to Working Tax Credit and household income less than £16,190

Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

Guarantee element of State Pension Credit

Income Support

Working Tax Credit ‘run on’ – the payment you receive for a further four weeks after you finish work

Registering is really quick and easy – if you think you qualify, contact the Area Education Office, White Cross Education Centre, Quarry Road, Lancaster 01524 581112 or 01524 581163 or Morecambe Bay Academy who will help you to register.


I am concerned about my child’s academic progress, who do I contact?

In the contact us section of the website are contact details for all Heads of Department. Please contact the relevant department alternatively you could contact your child’s Head of Year in the first instance and they will direct you on how to pursue your concern.

How do I apply for a place at Morecambe Bay Academy?

We follow the normal County admissions process for year 6 students. For mid year entrants, or Sixth Form places, please use the contact number on the Contact Us page.

I want to take my child out of school for a holiday during term time, what is the process?

We strongly advise that any family holidays are not taken during term time as this detrimental to your child’s education. The academy’s holiday dates are on our website, please check before booking.

If you do decide to book a holiday during term time, your child will need to speak to their attendance improvement officer to collect a leave of absence form which needs to be fully completed and submitted. Lancashire Education Authority will assess any requests of leave during term time and will decide if any penalty is to be applied.

My child has an appointment, how do I let academy know?

If your child has a medical appointment, please email absence@morecambebayacademy.co.uk with a screenshot or picture/scan of your child’s appointment and confirm what time they will be absent from school.  We would not normally authorise a whole day absence for a medical appointment (unless out of the area).  Ideally your child should attend school in the morning and get their morning mark and return after their appointment.  Moving forward, if need to book an appointment during term time, please arrange appointments for late afternoon and look to collect your child from 2pm onwards.

Not answered your question? Contact Us